“Both those who support [Ahmadiyah] and those who oppose it were invited,” the minister said at the Presidential Palace.
He said all the institutions that took part in the debate would compose drafts detailing their conclusions.
Those drafts would be used by the government to decide the fate of Ahmadiyah in Indonesia, he said, including whether to continue the joint ministerial decree that bans sect members from carrying out religious activities.
Among those present at the dialog were representatives from the Home Affairs Ministry, the Religious Affairs Ministry, the Justice and Human Rights Ministry, the Attorney General’s Office, the National Police and other civil organizations.
Zafrullah Pontoh, the national secretary of the Indonesia Ahmadiyah Congregation (JAI), previously said the invitation to the dialog had arrived too late for it to send representatives.
He also complained that the group had been allocated just four seats at the event.
Wednesday’s talks saw a majority of the representatives agreeing to the complete disbandment of Ahmadiyah.
In recent years, persecution and violent attacks have marked the lives of Ahmadis across Indonesia, with the government accusing them of leading more and more Muslims astray.